Genomics & bioinformatics
- New sequencing technologies and methods, and their application to the analysis of virus genomes.
- Innovations and improvements to bioinformatic pipelines for processing virus sequence data.
- Environmental metagenomics, including wastewater sequencing.
- Note: new computational methods that could be incorporated into a pipeline may be more suitable for the Software track.
Zoonoses & emerging infections
- Using phylogenetic analysis to reconstruct host-switch events associated with the origin of novel human viruses.
- Estimating the time of origin for a virus species using molecular clock methods.
- Dynamics and evolution of emerging viruses.
Transmission dynamics & clusters
- Characterizing transmission risk factors: transmission cluster analysis, transmission pair studies.
- Genomic epidemiology, outbreak detection by tracking genetic clusters.
- Molecular source attribution.
Phylodynamics & phylogeography
- Reconstructing the evolving spatial distribution of virus populations over time (phylogeography)
- Phylodynamic and model-based estimation of transmission rates (basic/effective reproduction numbers) and related parameters.
Software, tools & methods
- Development and validation of new software for studying human viruses.
- Method comparison and benchmarking.
- Database / web application announcements.
- Advances in statistical and mathematical modeling methods.
Within-host dynamics & adaptation
- Viral dynamics in primary infection, transmission bottlenecks.
- Viral latency.
- Within-host genetic diversity, compartmentalization.
- Models of within-host viral and immune dynamics.
- Drug resistance and effects of therapy on virus populations.
Vaccines & immune escape
- Vaccine-driven virus evolution and predictive vaccine design.
- Dynamics of adaptive immunity.
- Antigenic and epitope evolution in viral proteins.